“Hereby I summon all the scribes of the world…” –Ocean Smets
On Thursday, September 29th, 2016, the Brussels Writers’ Circle held the launch of Circle of Words: Anthology 1 a collection of short writings by members of the BWC. Hosted by Waterstones Books in the heart of Brussels, guests enjoyed wine and cheese (oh, yes, and pretzels, cake, and chocolate), and despite the weather turning rainy and cold, so many people turned out that the reading room was overflowing, and latecomers had to stand and listen from around the corner. The Circle of Words is on sale in Waterstones Brussels, can also be bought from Circle of Words – Harvard Square Editions, and is available as Kindle version via Amazon.
Seven of the contributors to Antho 1 read excerpts from their pieces, and here is what we learned.
- Patrick ten Brink hinted that sometimes a tattoo is more than just a tattoo, in The Birdman.
- Sarah Harris gave voice to the oaks in The Legacy. Asked “How long have you been here?” they answer “All the time. “
- Klavs Skovsholm introduced us to Robert, the power-walking rat in Paper Angel, and asks “What’s sentimental about a rat’s life?” Then he shows us that some things in the gutter glitter, so the answer might be: everything.
- Ciprian Begu knocked the ground out from under our feet with his flash fiction piece, Picnic on the White Cliff. The dangers around the Carpathian waters near Transylvania are not what you might expect.
- Barbara Mariani described Antonio’s Room for us, which includes a bookshelf made from a boat, and a mysterious photo of Marcelo Mastroianni.
- Larisa Doctorow evoked the passion and loss of Orpheus, through her husband’s expert reading to us about crystal songs and shrieking furies.
- Claire Davenport read a chapter from The Long Way to You on families and values (and the mysterious reference to the Phallus Impudicus).
After the readings, everyone chatted with the authors, bought books, had one last glass, and headed out into the night, hopefully to write. Because, as Kevin Ireland says, “our planet is chockablock with…writers.”
The Brussels Writers’ Circle is a group for English language writers young and old from across the continents, writing across all genres.
BWC meets Tuesday & Thursday at 7pm in La Maison des Crêpes, Rue du Midi 13. For more info, write us at Brusselswriterscircle at gmail.
PS! We are now putting together Anthology 2! Deadline to submit is end of November. Please send submissions to the BWC email and Patrick_ten_Brink at yahoo.